Monday, April 5, 2010

The Shocking State of Things

I have my cousin and his two boys age 11 and 7 staying over the Easter holidays. It's lovely to have family over since my family is all over the world so it is really hard to get together. I even suggested a full big family reunion in Jan 2012, so that everyone has enough time to save up and get all the holidays etc.
Now for those of you who know me knows that I'm not a fan of kids or babies, and these two were exceptionally good - until their father is out of the room! Gosh, the moment his back is turned, the things that come out of their mouth is unbeliveable. Not only was there general disrespect like calling me fat and asking personal questions, the swear words came rolling out, as well as sexual terms which they obviously learnt from their friends at school, racist and homophobic remarks. I also learnt first hand why TV/movies etc aren't good for kids - it's because they can't distinguish what's "pretend" and what's real life. They believe whatever TV/movies present.

Actual conversation on day 2:
"Do you have a boyfriend?"
"No, we broke up"
"So did you have a boyfriend?"
"Yes that's right"
"So did you have sex"
"Um...we were living together"
"EWWW so you did. How many times"
"None of your business"

Day 3
"Do you have a husband" - asks the same 11year old
"No. You know I don't"
"Oh yeh. Cos otherwise you would have a different surname"
"um, no, if I did, I would have introduced you"
"Nah, you'll have a different surname"
"Why?
"Cos you have to change your name when you marry"
"No I don't"
"Yes you do"
"Why do I?"
"So it shows that you're the man's property"
"...(getting angrier)...why? NO way. That's crazy. I don't HAVE to change my name. Why do I HAVE to?"
"Cos men are more important than women!"
"...(loses it)...where the hell did you get that idea from?"
"Well cos on TV, it's all men, and they do actions"
"That's not real life is it? Since when have you become an actor and are you now starring in a film?"
"...."

Day 3 later at the dinner table
"Haha I own you" -points finger at me
"wha??"
"You're a loser cos I kicked your arse so now I own you"
"What? What did I lose at and you can't own me"
"I've just decided I do"
"I refuse. And I just decided that I own you - do you even know what that means?"
"You can't refuse. Only I can refuse"

What can we do??? What can I do??? I guess it's harder for kids these days with so much bombardment of media available at their fingertips, it's hard too for parents to keep track of what gets to influence their kids. I really don't know how kids can become decent adults without respect for other people, feeling a sense of entitlement, that they're the centre of the universe, and without consideration for other people.

It's hard for me to believe that kids are our future. I really hope that there is a turning point somewhere otherwise the future's going to be pretty bleak...

Would Jesus be happy to be resurrected in this day and age?

No comments: